School is soon to be back, and, as a university student, you need to be prepared. If it’s your first year of college, you may be unsure what to leave behind and what to take with you.
Therefore, we’ve created this guide to answer the following question.
What should a student take from home to university?
Important Items to Include
The list below has almost everything you’ll essentially need during your stay at the university dormitories.
- Bed linen: sheets, duvet, pillows, pillowcases, blankets
- Suitable clothes for all types of weather
- Personal accessories: sunglasses, shoes, socks, a watch, scarves, hats, etc.
- Towels and slippers
- Coat hangers
- Extension leads
- Kitchen items and some food
- Stationary: pens, pencils, highlighters, notepads, post-it notes, etc.
- Your laptop or PC and their cables or chargers
- A USB cable
- A portable hard drive
- Your phone and its charger
- Headphones or earphones
- Medications if you’re taking any
- Detergent and cleaning products
Last but not least, don’t forget to include your student documents because there’s a big chance you’ll need them. These might include:
- Your photo ID
- Any official documents sent by the university
- Any details of student finance arrangements
- A document with your address on
Pro tip: Make sure to put all the items of the same category in the same pack. This way, unpacking will be an easier task.
Also, it’s always a good idea not to put too many items in the same box to keep the weight as light as possible. You need to be able to carry them upstairs to your room and get back down for more. Yes, you may find people willing to help move your things, but you can’t count on that.
In some cases, you may need additional storage space for all your stuff since most student accommodations can be small.
If you ever face this issue, we recommend services such as Flexistore. This company provides much-needed student storage in Manchester at a reasonable price.
Staying Comfortable in Your Room
You’ll spend the major part of your time at the university in your room. Therefore, you need to make it as student-friendly as possible.
The following items can come in handy to achieve this goal.
- A desk lamp
- A fan
- Picture frames and wall posters
- Music speakers
- Some of your favourite books
In some cases, you may not need to bring along any kitchen equipment because they’ll be available. Yet, some universities might not be equipped with enough items that you might need.
Plus, your roommates might bring along enough kitchen supplies that you can all use. Therefore, before including any of the following items, you should check if any of them will be already there.
- Saucepans and a frying pan
- Knives and a cutting board
- Baking tray
- Plates (microwave-friendly is always better)
- Mugs and glasses
- Measuring jug
What You Won’t Need
Steer clear of any heavy stuff that you’ll probably already find on campus. These include:
- Large suitcases
- Old study books
Also if you have any pets, chances are you’ll need to leave them at home, too.
The Bottom Line
Going to university is some sort of adventure, so you have to be ready. Still, if you forget to bring an item or two, it’s no big deal.
Most of the things you’ll need can be found in nearby shops or stores.
The post What Should a Student Take From Home to University appeared first on Residence Style.